Click to enlarge image
A pair of Spitfires FR Mk. XVIII of No. 208 Squadron over the Mediterranean.
After the War, No 208 returned from Italy to Palestine where it was equipped with the new Spitfires Mk. XVIII. Following the creation of the Israeli state, the squadron covered the withdrawal of British forces from Palestine, and in the course of these duties was attacked both by the Egyptian Air Force and the Israelis – all flying Spitfires! In late 1948 the fragile situation in Palestine prompted the squadron to withdraw to RAF Fayid in the Canal Zone of Egypt. Here the unit carried photo reconnaissance missions over Palestine and Suez. After 3 years at Fayid, the Spitfires were replaced by Meteors in 1951. [Crown Copyright]