Click to enlarge image
A Spitfire of a French Squadron of the Mediterranean Allied Coastal Air Force flying over southern France during the autumn of 1944. Although the aircraft does not carry any unit markings or the serial number, it belonged with all probablity to GC II/7 – also known in British official sources as No.326 (French) Squadron “Nice”. This unit after participation in the invasion of Corsica moved to Lyon Bron France in September 1944, and then to Dijon Longvic and Luxeuil les bains, before phasing their Spitfires Mk. V in favour of the newer Mk. IX in October that year.
Although at the time of the photo the aircraft obviously had seen its better days, this Spitfire Mk. V belonged to one of the last production batches of this mark, distinguished by individual exhaust pipes, C-wing with narrow blisters and late Mk. IX type-elevator with enlarged balance horns. Also, the extra cannon stubs had been removed. The French roundels were painted over the USAAF star-and-bar insignia, following the US practice of placing the markings only at the upper port (and presumably lower starboard) wing.
[US National Archives]