Official RAF photograph taken on 7 June 1944, a day after the invasion in Normandy. It shows rows of factory-fresh Spitfires LF Mk. IXc assembled at a forward repair unit in southern England – place not stated – to replace expected losses of the 2nd Tactical Air Force over the continent. Visible in the far background is an even larger mas of RAF ground vehicles. The mechanics work on the Merlin 66 engine, which is shown to advantage.
The aircraft discernible by its serial number, MK574, went to No. 403 Squadron RCAF, but its operational career lasted only a week. It was lost on a mission north of Caen on 15 June, but the pilot (F/O Reeves) parachuted safely over the Allied beachhead.