Click to enlarge image
The history No. 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron RAuxAF is intimately connected with the Spitfire, the aircraft which the unit operated from the beginning to the end of World War II. When the Auxiliary Air Force reformed again in 1946, No. 602 gathered volunteers old and new at Abbotsinch, once again receiving Spitfires, but this time Griffon-powered Mk. XIV, followed by Mk. 21s in 1947 and Mk. 22s the following year.
This photo shows the squadron’s pilots and Spitfires Mk. XIV at the annual camp at Woodvale in July 1946.
[602 Sqn Museum]