Modelling Supermarine Spitfire PR Mk. XIX – The Complete Conversion Guide for 1/48 Scale

Spitfire Site

Modelling Supermarine Spitfire PR Mk. XIX

The Complete Conversion Guide for 1/48 Scale

Wings Tweaks List The Mk XIV wings in the kit feature (correctly) the short- span ailerons used on the type; unfortunately, the PR XIX ...
« Previous  |  1 2 3 4  |  Next »

Wings Tweaks List

  • The Mk XIV wings in the kit feature (correctly) the short- span ailerons used on the type; unfortunately, the PR XIX had the normal, longer-span ailerons, so I filled the outer ends of the kit’s ailerons and extended the hinge line out to where the wingtip joins.
     
  • The PR XIX was unarmed, so of course the cannon and their upper wing bulges had to go. And so did all of the gun access panels, panel lines, shell chutes, the whole lot. I filled in all the gun panel lines with superglue, using a pin as an applicator, a short section at a time, and then hit it with accelerator. Remember to sand each line down as soon as you’re finished getting the superglue dry, before it hardens completely. Then rescribe the remaining panel lines as needed. This proved to be the most tedious part of the project!

A shot of the airframe much later during construction. Looking down the wing, you can see the rescribed ailerons and the absence of gun access panels. Also note the dropped elevators and the scratchbuilt scoops, on the engine (the original having been lost!) and the pressurization exhaust just behind the cockpit. Finally, although it’s all but invisible here, you can see the fixed rear portion of the canopy and how my vacuformed piece comes down even with the sliding section rails.

  • Next, I made the two fuel boost pump fairings that go under the wings, in front of the wheel wells. The XIX had the entire front of the wings forward of the main spar made into fuel tanks, with a boost pump for each. I started with half-round strip plastic stock and carved/sanded these pieces; the hard part was getting them to match!
     
  • There were also two small, thin fairings at about mid-span on the lower wings. I robbed them from a spare Otaki (Arii) Mk. VIII kit; otherwise, they’re another scratchbuilt item.

I needed to see how all this work looked before proceeding, so I airbrushed a thin coat of the bottom colour (PRU Blue) on portions of the lower wing to see if things looked right. Also, note that the rear tips of the fuel boost pump fairings have been cut flush with the front of the wheel wells. The tips were added to the landing gear doors to match the originals

« Previous  |  1 2 3 4  |  Next »

Be the First to Add a Comment!