The following photo set shows a new addition to the international airshow circuit, the Swedish-owned Spitfire LF Mk. XVIe ser.no. RW386.
The photos have been taken by Andreas Nygaard in Norway during the 2008 season Flydagen Keller airshow. See Anderas' Flickr photostream for more aviation images from this photographer.
RW386 was one of the last Spitfires Mk. XVI built at Castle Bromwich, one of only forty machines completed out of a 1945 order for 1,500. It served initially with No. 604 (County of Middlesex) Squadron as NG-D, but was soon removed from active service, founding its new role as gate guardian for the School of Technical Training at RAF Halton. It remained there until 1982 when it was moved to RAF Hendon Museum. Restoration to airworthiness began at Audley End in 1992 but wasn't completed due to lack of finance and the aircraft remained in storage at North Weald until 2002. Acquired by Historic Flying Ltd, new restoration commenced in 2002. It had its first post-restoration flight at Duxford in March 2007. Sold to a new owner in Sweden in May 2007.
[Images by Andreas Nygaard, used by permission][styleguide/insert_ad_image_page_bottom.htm] [styleguide/insert_content_footer.htm]